Thursday, 13 September 2007

he cares!

last night something happened to me that i do not wish upon any God-fearing soul. my 'husband' (yes its still extremely weird) and i had driven to another town for an appointment. now he has this irritating little personal habit of dislocating his shoulder at random hours of the day or night. normally he employs the very most inconvenient time to do it too. so, just as we were to meet with this girl, out it pops. now, one would hope a simple maneuver of popping it back in were an option, but unfortunately since it's come out so many times its in fact worn a groove in to the place it pops out into & just gets locked in to place making it impossible for him to put back without professional help. we've grown accustomed to instantly having to switch into emergency mode over this, though it bothers me immensely that we have to put so many poor unsuspecting victims at an inconvenience every time.
yesterday was extra special.
so we dropped this girl home at about 3:00 & deposited him at the hospital. we had hoped they would put it in quickly & we could drive home before dark. however, as is the case with general hospitals, one can wait up to an entire day before any action is taken. so at about 6:00 they decided he had to stay the night & drugged him to a semi-conscious level.
i had no choice but to drive home in the dark by myself.
we had just enough money in his wallet to pay the admission fee, so i left it with him & took the cell phone cause we figured he could call from the hospital to be picked up.
now anyone that knows me knows well that without a competent co-driver or an extremely familiar route i am a gonner when it comes to directions. quite literally i kind of exist on a sub-conscious level with my head in the clouds, seemingly in another dimension, relying on my photographic memory to simply take photos of things i've seen in order for them to register with me. this has its advantages, as sometimes i can remember things other's have no recollection of. including people, names, places, etc. through no expertise of my own, just purely the activity of my subconscious mind. (God gave us the most incredible organ-our brain!)
anyway, i looked at the petrol gauge & estimated that i had enough petrol to get home.
so off i set toward the highway turnoff....
now this is where my total inability with directions was a very inconvenient handicap. i got on the highway in the wrong direction!
this might sound like no big deal, just get off at the next turn off & get on the highway going the other way, right? hmm i wish it was that simple. remember how i said i only had enough petrol to get home. going this way i was driving uphill which wasn't being very charitable on the petrol level. and it was pouring rain. and i was in the mountains so we were pretty much in the clouds hence i couldn't see one foot in front of me. and my cellphone battery considerately chose to be almost empty. i also had no money to put petrol if i somehow miraculously found my way to a petrol station.
i looked at a road sign which said that the next off ramp was in 25 kms...oh this did not look promising.
i pulled over & prayed that the teeny weeny bit of battery would last for me to sms my sister at home & tell her where i was, & that i needed help. THANK GOD it did.
there was a sweet man who we used to know when we lived in this town a while back who seemed to be our best chance of getting help. claire called him & explained my situation.
funny, we spent our time with lots of people while we were living there, but not a single one of them came to mind when i needed someone to count on. that was a BIG lesson for me on spending my time with the people who will add value to my life. where were those people now? who knew. i just knew they were not the ones that would be there for me when i needed help.
once i knew help was on its way, i heaved a sigh of relief. but i wondered how i could ever show my gratitude to this kind gentleman whom we barely knew but who had saved my life.
he got me to a petrol station & filled up R100 petrol for me & didn't think it was such a good idea for me to drive home alone being what the circumstances were.
he offered that i come stay at his house & just to ease the awkwardness he wanted to call a niece of his to come stay there with me. haha. i assured him it was okay, since i had already inconvenienced half the world so i'd be fine on my own. but i took up his offer to stay at his house. he doesn't cook, & had picked up a plate of dinner at his sister's house. he insisted i have at least half of it. he put me up in a room in his house & loaned me pj's which belonged to his son who used to live there.
the next day he directed me back to the hospital where i was able to pick simon up & be on our way.
i know it's a miracle that im here today. God sent an angel of mercy to help me when it seemed there was no hope.
i've never seen an angel, but i know God sends his messengers when it seems that we need an extra dose of His supernatural help. when all our own human resources have run out. who whisper the message of hope......."He cares."

6 comments:

Lyra said...

What? HUSBAND????
Hey, who was the Guy?
oh, I have recently discovered making real, lasting friends on ourtreach..it's so cool, i actually have people i meet begging me to come back and visit then here in cape town...i never had that before Mike came to the home and helped us begin a new aspect of outreach (also thanks to caleb for being the long term outreach partner)

Anonymous said...

ah yes, well we're wed. the man was uncle mano...anything else?

Claire said...

oh, here's an interesting thought: maybe we've done some TINY thing right in our outreach as a home, to be comfortable enough to phone someone in the middle of the night to ask for help.
I don't know. just a thot.
whatever.

Claire said...

P.S. TYJ for His protection. this being a dangerous country and all. We're so glad to have Max back!

Anonymous said...

haha i also didn't credit claire enough over this whole affair. in fact i also can't think of very many people who i can sms any time day or night to say IM IN TROUBLE NEED HELP RIGHT NOW!!!!! most people i know hardly ever even reply to sms's & are incredibly unreliable. so thanks claire for being so available & knowing exactly what to do. claire is always ready to help someone in need. God bless her, her whole life is spent in service to others. well done on you claire.

Claire said...

i wasn't looking for credit or attention. i'm just busy being sensitive over the pompous criticism i get about our homes tooling, or outreach methods. i am honestly happy you're back!